I just want to help you shine. All I really care about is doing my part to help you get to your greatness. To help you reach your best at work. To help you find happiness at home. To help you make your mark.
What’s my payoff? Well, when I help you live your finest life, I get to feel significant. I get to feel that I’m making a difference in the world. That I matter. That I’m not walking the planet in vain. That’s where so much of my happiness comes from. Truly.
So here’s what I thought about in the shower this morning: What are my best practices? In other
words, what are the best things that I do to stay at my very best – on game and in potential? Here’s what I came up with:
• Up at 5 a.m. five times a week with naps on the weekends.
• A 60 – minute “holy hour” once I’m up, for self – development and personal reflection.
• Five big – time workouts a week.
• A 90 – minute massage every seven days.
• A world – class diet. (But I eat one to two desserts every week – life isn’t meant to be too strict; and if I ever see “flourless chocolate cake” on a menu, I order it.)
• A period of journaling most days. Journaling builds self – awareness. I also use my journal to write daily goals, plan and record what I’m grateful for, and capture and process new ideas along with lessons learned.
• A period of reading each day (from Harvard Business Review to Travel and Leisure to Dwell and good books).
• Affirmations or what I call Success Statements throughout the day – especially in the shower. These keep my thoughts locked on what’s most important – and thoughts are the ancestors of actions. Right thinking drives right action.
• A weekly planning session. I also review my goals here. Usually I do it Sunday morning.
• At least one conversation with an interesting person each week to keep my passion high and to surround myself with bug ideas. A single conversation can change your life. In an issue of Business 2.0, management consultant Jim Collins revealed that one idea, shared in 30 seconds by a mentor, transformed him.
I have more but these are my best personal practices, the ones that bring out my highest. Pick the ones that resonate with you. Discard the ones that you disagree with. Just find what works for the way you live. Then act on them today. This very day can be the first day of your new life. It’s all your choice.